Czech Bulgarian Chinese (Traditional) Croatian Danish Dutch English Estonian Finnish French Greek Hungarian Italian Japanese Norwegian Polish Russian Spanish Swedish Ukrainian Vietnamese




Jimramov Urban Monument Zone


Jimramov Urban Monument Zone

Town Jimramov came into being probably as early as  the 13th century, at the confluence of the Svratka and Fryšávka rivers. The founder was apparently Jimram from Medlov and the town was probably named after him. The local Jan Karafiat brought fame to Jimramov. He used to say: "Hardly anybody else was born in such a beautiful town like me, only if the person was born in Jimramov". Many film makers come to Jimramov to make fairy tales and films depicting scenes from the First Republic (1918-1938). The historic core has been declared a protected town zone. Here you can also rent an audio guide for touring the city.

1. The former school "Saint Jan"
The building was built by an earl, Antonín Belcredi, in 1801, in Classicist style and served as a school until 1986. It is currently being used as an Exhibition hall and Hall of the local artists, where you can find children's books called the "Beetles" by Jan Karafiát.  In the 1960s director Jiří Trnka made the film "The Beetles ",which was based on this book. The puppet scene which is now displayed in Jimramov was originally intended for the World Expo 1938 in New York. Due to the war this exhibition did not take place and thus the Beetles were exhibited as late as at the world exhibition Expo 1958 in Brussels.
2. Christianeum
The building Christianeum used to be a convent. It was built between 1885 and 1889 by an earl ,Belcredi ,in honour of his wife - countess Nosticova and was called "Christianeum". An order of the school nuns runs the children's asylum and the craftwork school for girls who have left  elementary school. Since 2003 the Physiotherapy and Training Centre has been operating there.
3. The Town Hall
The original Renaissance town hall, which was later rebuilt in the Classicist style, is probably the oldest building in Jimramov. Above the entrance you can see the town heraldry, which forms the Renaissance gable with three silver pikes representing three local hills - the Holý, Padělek and Prosička Hill. Three golden stars were added to this heraldry in the 18th century as decoration. 
4. The Jimramov chateau
Pavel Katarin from Katar, who bought the Jimramov manor in 1588, is considered to be the founder of the chateau. He built the southern and eastern chateau wings. In the 18th century the northern wing and covered above ground corridor was built. The corridor connects the chateau with a nearby Catholic church. The last western wing was built as late as at the turn of the 18th and 19th century and the owner of the barony was the Italian Belcredi family. By adding the last wing, a quadrangle with a well came to being. In 1948 to 1991 the Railway Apprentice Training centre had its headquarters there. After the restitution in 1991, the property originally owned by the Belcredi Family, which was confiscated in 1948, was given back to the Belcredi family. The chateau is open to the public.
 5. Birthplace of the Mrštik brothers
The house where the writers Alois and Vilém Mrštík were born is situated on the rocky point above the confluence of the Svratka and Fryšávka rivers. According to the legend there used to be a fort owned by the Lord of Pernštejn. In 1927 a commemorative plaque by academic sculptor Julius Pelikan was embedded in the rock under the house.
 6. Catholic Church
The Catholic Church "Birth of the Virgin Mary" is situated on the spot of the original Gothic church. The first written note about the church comes from 1361. The Church and the spire have been rebuilt several times. Around 1740 the church was connected with the chateau by an above-ground corridor, which leads directly to the Church oratory. 
7. Evangelic Church
From 1789 to 1791 the Evangelic church was built on the spot of the former Evangelic chapel. Originally the church did not have a tower. It was added later, in the Empire style. During the reconstruction in 1987 the church burnt down, but thanks to the gathering among the local and foreign believers, the church was rebuilt. The new organ is a gift by the Helvetii from Switzerland.
8. The Belcredi tomb
The Neo Gothic style stone tomb from 1869 of the Belcredi Family, which is a part of the Jimramov chateau, is situated on the slope of the Padělek Hill. Above the tomb entrance is the Latin sign which means Bliss, who died in the Lord. In the tomb there is a small altar and a big wooden cross. There are 15 oak coffins and earl Ludvík Belcredi rests in the youngest coffin.
9. Functionalist villa
The Functionalist villa, owned by the doctor Josef Železny, is situated by the bridge across the SvratkaRiver. Jaroslav Kincl, Lev Krča and Stanislav Tobek who were students of architect Josef Gočár, designed it. An unusual awning above the entrance represents a distinctive feature. The Villa, built in 1936 in a typically functionalist style with a flat roof and a terrace, is unique in the Nove Město na Morave region.
10. Birthplace of Jan Karafiát
Jan Karafiát, the author of the unforgettable stories about the Beetles, was born in 1846 in the house No. 10. Since the first publication in 1876, the book has been republished many times all over the world.  Jan Karafiát was not only the writer; he was mainly the Evangelic priest. Maybe thanks to his profession, he endowed his copyright of this book to the CzechBrethrenChurch and thus they could financially support the publication of the Bible and other church publications. The commemorative plaque from 1936 was designed by artist Anýž.
11. The Sun house
The house, built at the end of 16th century, served as an inn till 1871. In 1678 Karel Slavíček - Jesuit, mathematician, astronomer and musician, was born here. He also served as an astronomer for 20 years at the Emperor's court in Beijing. He is buried there near the city palace. In 1995 a commemorative plaque was placed on the house in Jimramov where he was born.

Popis trasy

Mapa trasy