Czech Bulgarian Chinese (Traditional) Croatian Danish Dutch English Estonian Finnish French Greek Hungarian Italian Japanese Norwegian Polish Russian Spanish Swedish Ukrainian Vietnamese



Nové Město na Moravě - Urban Monument Zone


Nové Město na Moravě - Urban Monument Zone

The city's historical center is formed by the square Vratislavovo náměstí, lined by houses with Renaissance, Baroque and Classicist elements. Its greatest flourishing came during the late-16th century rule of Vratislav of Pernštejn. The Church of St. Kunhuta standing in the square's center features 1930s façade sgraffito decoration by Karel Němec. The sgraffito illustrates scenes from the Old and New Testaments. Dominating the square are the 16th-century old town hall (today's HoráckoMuseum) and the late-16th chateau built by the Dubský family of Třebomyslice. The chateau, restored several times thereafter, is now home to the Horácko Gallery. Key monuments include Renaissance house no. 97 (today's information centre) and the Brady house no. 13, bearing bitter memories of the occupation and the Holocaust. The famous book Hana's Suitcase, telling the sad story of Hana Brady, can be bought in the info centre  inside Horácko Museum, tel. 566 598 750. Here you can also rent an audio guide for touring the city.
1. The Horácké Museum
We would like to make the first stop at the Horácké Museum. In 1555 the city hall had its seat here, as is evident from a founding stone with the year on it and the Pernštejn heraldry above the entrance. Over the course of history, the building also served as a general warehouse, a vending place for salt and a tavern for the nobility, serving wine and spirits. Dances were held here and it also temporarily served as a school. The Horácké Museum has had its seat here since 1907. Besides the exhibition of the History of Skiing and Ski Production in Nové Město, there are also exhibitions of Folk Art, Glassmaking, Ferrous Metallurgy and Mineralogy in the Nové Město na Moravě region. Both children and adults will enjoy the exhibition of a classroom from the 1930s and the Vír Mill, which is a collection of wooden statues driven by a water mill.
2. House No. 97
We are standing in House No. 97, which dates back to the second half of the 16th century and probably served as an office building. The “mázhaus”, which has been preserved, is the central room on the main floor, from which the entrances to all the other rooms lead. The owner used to run his business or trade here. There is a vaulted central column with the heraldry of the Lords of Pernštejn, whose symbols include the head of the European bison.
3. Birthplace of Karel Němec
We are standing in front of House No. 40, where painter Karel Němec was born. He was the author of many sgraffitos on burger houses and various religious buildings in the Nové Město na Moravě region - the exterior and interior of Saint Kunhuta Church, sgraffito on the facade of Panský dům Hotel and the town heraldry on the Horácké Museum, just to name a few. On the facade of this house we can see a carved relief of Saint Lucas – patron of painters. Not far from here is a commemorative plaque designed by another local artist – Jiří Plieštik.
4. František Palacký
The town of Nové Město na Moravě is considered to be a sculpting gallery in the open air. On this sightseeing tour we will see sculptures that originated mainly in the studios of local artists.
We are standing in front of a statue of František Palacky. It was made in 1902 by Jan Štursa during his studies at the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague and was sponsored by the former mayor Josef Jelínek, who was Štursa’s patron and a great admirer of Palacky. With the help of his school-mate Jaroslav Krepčík, the statue was carved in the Mayor’s house according to a model that was supervised by J. V. Myslbek.
5. Mountain Song
The stone well, known as a mountain song, dates back to 1891. In 1905 the town paid for artist Jan Štursa to create a boy with a lamb, representing an allegory of the native land. However, what is exhibited is only a copy that was carved in 1942 at the ArtSchool in Zlín under the supervision of master artist Vincenc Makovsky. The original is displayed in the HoráckéMuseum entrance hall.
6. House of the Brady Family
We are standing on Vratislav Square in front of House No. 13, which is closely related to the Jewish Brady family. The commemorative plaque of the house facade recalls the sad fate of Hana Brady during the time of the Nazi occupation and holocaust. In 1942, 11-year-old Hana was deported to Theresienstadt concentration camp (Terezín). Her life story is depicted in the world-renowned book “Hana’s Suitcase”. Based on a design by architect Marie Jiřičkova, the commemorative plaque was unveiled in 2005. On the first floor of this house you can see the family photographs.
7. Arboretum
When you walk through the gateway and pass the house, you will see the arboretum, which was established in 2010. Within one year, the wild garden was turned into a pleasant place of relaxation and education. The location also serves the beekeepers of Nové Město na Moravě.
8. Birthplace of Vincenc Makovský
Now we are standing in front of House No.11, where artist Vincenc Makovský was born in 1900. Although he is mainly known as a sculptor, he was also a painter, designer and professor at the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague. He is considered to be the main representative of the interwar avant-garde. On a unique facade with some elements of Czech Neo-renaissance, there is a commemorative plaque with the bust of Makovsky designed by his student and assistant Miloš Axman. This plaque was unveiled in 1985.
9. Column Decoration on House No. 9
House No. 9 is also associated with sculptor Vincenc Makovský, as his father had a butcher’s shop here. The decoration at the head of the column, dating back to1922, depicts a butcher’s journeymen on the front facade of the house – this was also designed by Makovský. 
10. Panský dům Hotel (House of Lords Hotel)
You cannot miss one of the oldest houses on Vratislav Square - the House of Lords Hotel at No. 7. From the second half of the 17th century, the building served as an inn. In 1801 it burnt down in a great fire that destroyed a major part of the town. However, the inn was rebuilt and renamed “The Golden Deer”. After a subsequent reconstruction, it was decorated by Karel Němec, who designed the sgraffito on the facade, interior and entrance to the wine bar. 
11. Chateau in Nové Město na Moravě
From the park you can see the local chateau, which revealingly has the address No. 1. In 1570 there used to be a Renaissance chateau that served as the seat of the Pernštejn clerks. The chateau ground plan was in the shape of the letter V and during the construction, the Late-gothic burgher house was used. After the great fire in 1723, the chateau became dilapidated, but within the same century it was rebuilt into Baroque style. Nowadays we can see the Neo-renaissance style dating back to 1874. At present the chateau is the seat of the Horácká Gallery, which has permanent exhibitions of Czech Sculpture in the 20th Century, Landscaping and Blown Glass from Škrdlovice.
12. The Relief “The End of My Suffering is Approaching”
A commemorative plaque with the title “The End of My Suffering is Approaching” is dedicated to the victims of WWII. The plaque was mounted on the house facade facing Komenské Square in 2000 on the occasion of the 55th anniversary of the liberation. Sculptor Vincenc Makovský depicts a dying prisoner in a concentration camp cell.
13. “Intangible Figures”
The bronze sculpture “Intangible Figures” was created by local artist Jiří Plieštik. In his sculptural, photographic and literary work, Plieštik takes inspiration from the subconscious and emotions and tries to grasp things that escape into the unconsciousness. This sculpture was cast in 1992 and officially unveiled in Nové Město na Moravě in 2005.
14. EvangelicalChurch and the Bust of Jan Ámos Komenský
The bust, created in 1920 by Julius Pelikán, is the highly recognizable representation of Jan Ámos Komenský – “teacher of nations”. It is positioned in the location of the former Evangelical chapel. Behind it you can see the Neo-renaissanceCzechBrethrenEvangelicalChurch dating back to 1898. The construction was done according to plans by Viennese architect Hans Glaser; local builder and mayor Josef Sadílek supervised the construction. The Lord’s Table has been preserved in the interior of the chapel.
15. Memorial to Dead Soldiers
In front of you is the Memorial to Dead Soldiers, designed by sculptor Jan Štursa. An authentic photograph from the Carpathians was the inspiration for this piece of art. In the original study of the work, named “Funeral in the Carpathian Mountains”, Štursa dressed the soldiers in Austrian uniforms. In the 1920s the idea was changed into a memorial to the victims of WWI. The soldiers were in legionary uniform and the memorial was renamed to “Memorial to Dead Soldiers”. It was unveiled in Nové Město na Moravě after the death of the artist in 1932.
16. Columns with a Sculpture of Saint Anne
Now we are standing by a water fountain. If we look up, we will see a column with a sculpture of Saint Anne with the Virgin Mary. This represents the oldest decoration on the fountain. The figures in the lower part of the column were made on the basis of older sculptures by sculptor Karel Dvořák. They represent Saint Jan Nepomucký, Karel Boromejský, blessed Jan Sarkander and Saint Sebastian. Due to extensive damage, the statue of Saint Anne was replaced with a copy in 1992; the original was loaned to the Horácká Gallery.
17. Bust of Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk
We are standing in front of the bust designed by local sculptor Jan Štursa. The bust represents the first Czechoslovak president – Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk. It was acquired on the 10th anniversary of the foundation of Czechoslovakia. It is a cast of a half size figure intended for the decoration of the boardroom of the Chamber of Deputies. Masaryk visited Nové Město na Moravě in 1906 and 1928; in 1935 he was appointed an honorary citizen of the town.
18. Birthplace of Jan Štursa
Jan Štursa, who is considered to be one of the founders of modern Czech sculpture, was born in House No. 122. On our stroll around the town, we have already seen 4 of his statues and other sculptures are still waiting for us. Štursa’s birthplace has a commemorative plaque with a bust that was cast according to a design made by academic sculptor Professor Václav Žalud. It was unveiled in 1927.
19. “Wounded”
Already from a distance we can see the paramount statue of Nové Město na Moravě - the anti-war piece entitled “Wounded”. The statue was inspired and came to being based on Jan Štursa’s experiences from the war. The bronze sculpture was unveiled in 1965 as a memorial to the victims of WWII. The plaster original of 1921 is displayed in the Horácka Gallery.
20. The Relief “Salvatore mundi”
On the facade of House No. 119 there is an eye-catching relief called Salvatore mundi, which means Saviour of the World. It represents one of the signs of Christ. The relief was made by Jan Štursa in 1905 to decorate the front of the Salvatore Pharmacy. 
21. Catholic Church
We are standing in front of Saint Kunhuta Catholic Church. This represents the biggest gallery of sgraffito designed by local artist Karel Němec. Biblical figures, stories from their lives and the millennium of the anniversary of the death of Saint Wenceslas all served as inspiration. Němec also decorated the interior of the church. The sgraffito “Czech Heaven” is sure to catch your attention. The Gothic presbytery from the end of the 14th century is the oldest part of the church. There are four bells in the church tower, the largest of which is called Kunhuta.
22. Vratislav of Pernštejn
The last stop on our sightseeing tour is the water fountain on Vratislav Square. The sculpture represents the owner of the Nové Město na Moravě estate, Vratislav of Pernštejn, with a scroll of important concessions that were granted to Nové Město na Moravě in 1580. Commissioned by the town in 1871, the statue was made by Prague sculptor Karel Dvořák and a year later it was placed on a water fountain. The inscription on the pedestal commemorates the author, Dvořák, and the restoration of the water fountain in 1902 by Jan Štursa.

Route Description

Access for DisabledAccess for Disabled

Route Map